
German Defence Minister Boris Pistorius said on Wednesday that Berlin had not yet received any binding plans from the Trump administration regarding a withdrawal of US troops from Germany, reported dpa.
There is "still no truly reliable confirmation of this,” the minister said after a meeting of the parliamentary defence committee in Berlin.
What Germany had heard, he said, was that the number of US brigades stationed in Europe could be reduced by one formation.
"To what extent troops stationed in Germany will be affected by this remains to be seen," Pistorius added.
A day earlier, US general and NATO Supreme Allied Commander Alexus Grynkewich confirmed that the United States would for the time being not deploy long-range intermediate weapons in Germany.
The previously planned deployment of a so-called Long Range Fires Battalion would not go ahead, said Grynkewich, who also commands US forces in Europe.
Grynkewich also said that the withdrawal of around 5,000 US troops from Europe announced by President Donald Trump would largely involve the return of a Brigade Combat Team to the United States.
Asked about possible further adjustments to US troop levels in Europe, Grynkewich said he did not expect additional announcements in the short term.
According to the US Defense Manpower Data Center, Germany hosts more than 37,000 active duty US troops.
- US
- Troops
- Germany
Source: www.dailyfinland.fi